Tuesday 31 July 2012

Surfing in Stilettos by Carol E Wyer

This is the story of Amanda. She has decided to take a 'gap' year off and travel around Europe with her husband Phil in their camper van, that she has affectionately named Bernie. Along the way Bernie breaks down and they find themselves taking an extended stay in France. There Amanda befriends a chic frenchwoman Bibi, takes on a stepdog and works on her blog. When a family disaster forces Phil to return to the UK, she puts all her energy into her new lifestyle and her blog. Will she stay in France or return to the UK to be reunited with Phil?

I loved this. Parts of it were laugh out loud funny and some parts were very poignant. The addition of the blog to break up the chapters was a great idea, as I felt I was taking a sneaky peak into Amanda's life and she became more real to me. I understand this is a sequel of sorts but it never felt like I was missing out having not read the first. The pacing was just right and the ending was both funny and sad at the same time. I would recommend this as a light hearted down to earth read that doesn't take itself too seriously.

1 comment: