Monday 16 July 2012

A Christmas to Remember (Twisted Tales) by Matt Shaw

This is a choose your own adventure. It is very dark though. It gives many options. It has two main endings and quite a few dead ends, which extends the length of the book.

This was interesting! It was a typical 'Choose your own Story' in its design, but certainly not typical in content! Some parts were very dark and quite graphic so be warned. I loved the fact that there were quite a few dead ends, one of which has Matt telling the reader off for their choices, which I thought was a nice touch. I appreciate this isn't going to appeal to everyone, but if you like Matt's work and you like this sort of story then it's win win all round! A divergence for Matt but I don't think that's a problem, I think his reader pool can only grow!

3 comments:

  1. No doubt people will think it edgy and all of that, but I'm old fashioned. I want a complete story. I can like a twisted ending, but I do not want someone telling me off after I've spent money on their product. There's no way to retaliate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It fits in with the context of the story, so it feels right. I'm not a great fan of being told off either but believe me it does work in this instance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't help but have a snigger at that. My apologies. The book has numerous endings with two ultimate endings. The ending which resulted in a ticking off was because the reader tried to take the book in a direction even I, as a writer, wouldn't go. It's a little paragraph and done with my tongue firmly in my cheek and not a 'real' telling off. It's a full-stop to that particular storyline, showing the reader that they should probably take it in another direction ;)

    ReplyDelete